Portland eliminated from hosting 2017 NBA All-Star Weekend due to dragging hotel project

Portland eliminated from hosting 2017 NBA All-Star Weekend due to dragging hotel project
February 17, 2014, 10:15 am
Share This Post

NEW ORLEANS – The Portland Trail Blazers have made it known that the city of Portland wishes to host NBA All-Star Weekend.

The year 2017 was the first opening the organization was shooting for after the mid-season extravaganza visits New York in 2015 and Toronto in 2016.

But according to a league source, 2017 is now out of the question for Portland due to the tirelessly slow process of getting a Hyatt Regency convention-size hotel approved which would reside at the Oregon Convention Center.

Funding and hotel competitors appear to be the main obstacles holding the project up. A city official told CSNNW.com that they do expect to eventually break ground on the project, but adds that now the earliest the hotel can be constructed is in the year 2017.

Trail Blazers CEO/President Chris McGowan has made it a personal goal of bringing All-Star Weekend to Portland for the first time and this minor setback isn’t going to veer him off course.

“We just want the league to know that we’re trying and want to bring the All-Star game to Portland,” McGowan told CSNNW.com at All-Star Weekend in New Orleans. “We have the best fans and attractive venues that I think would be a perfect fit. We’re open to any year available. We want to make it happen.”

Adam Silver, the new NBA Commissioner, revealed to CSNNW.com last year that he would love to bring the fun-filled event to Portland, but says his main concern was hotel accommodations.

And so the hotel dilemma continues. Getting that Hyatt hotel up will certainly strengthen Portland’s All-Star bid. That project holds all the cards.